Every year Tens of Thousands of people enter this contest in hopes of winning the $100,000 Grand Prize. The top winners in each of the five categories also receive $10,000 and All Runners-up (non-winning finalists) will also receive $1,000.
Southern Living will donate an additional $10,000 to the Grand Prize winner's favorite charity. In addition to all of this, another $175,000 in cash and other prizes is being awarded surrounding this event. Plus, Southern Living will fly all fifteen finalists to the event to prepare their recipes for the judges.
This trip is valued at about $3000 and includes round-trip transportation, accommodations, meals, and transportation to and from events for finalist and one guest. Additionally, the Top Winners of the 2003 cook-off and their recipes will also be featured in the January 2004 issue of Southern Living and in the Southern Living Annual Recipes 2003 cookbook.
The Five categories being judged are:
- Taste of the South: New twists on Southern classics.
- Simple and Scrumptious Entrees: Easy to make main dishes with a preparation time 30 minutes or less and cooking time 1 hour or less.
- One-Dish Suppers: Easy weeknight family meals, pastas and casseroles.
- Signature Desserts: Any sweet creation that is the perfect ending to your casual or elegant gathering.
- Kids Love It: Recipes that make kids say "Yummy!"