1. Local
Jan Duke

Thomas The Tank Engine Rides into Tennessee Central

By August 31, 2009

Everyone's number one train engine, Thomas the Tank Engine is coming to the Tennessee Central Railway Museum for two weekends: September 5th - 6th and also September 12th-13th. Everyone gets to ride on Thomas the Tank Engine and even meet Sir Topham Hatt too. Tickets are $18.00 and normally go quickly with departures all day long.

Comments

September 3, 2007 at 4:54 pm
(1) Lee says:

Very disappointing for the price. The train ride into downtown was a joke – couldn’t even see down town, just trash on the side of the railroad tracks. A lot of extras that had to be paid for despite the expensive admission fee. Would not recommend – spent $64 and for what?

September 4, 2007 at 10:56 am
(2) Jan says:

Lee- I agree it’s kinda cheesey, but I took my kids when they were little (under 6) and they just loved it so that made the cost worth it to me :)

September 4, 2007 at 9:50 pm
(3) Ken says:

I second the comment by Lee. The train ride is a crawl for about 10 minutes backward and forward. Luckily (or unluckily) we saved the 3 dollars extra per person by NOT buying the ticket online. There were no smiles from any of the people working the event. If you want to see Thomas, I suggest you go somewhere other than Nashville.

May 25, 2008 at 12:26 pm
(4) billy says:

I agree with LEE 100%, I took my almost 2 year old daughter at the time. What really got me, they would not let my wife and almost 2 month old son in without a ticket. I was thinking the ticket was just for the train ride. It was never specified. We even pleaded, that they were doing nothing but walkin around. They still said no. I wasnt paying $16 0r $18 just for them to wait on us. We had to hurry and leave.

September 4, 2008 at 10:27 pm
(5) Tim says:

An absolute dissappointment. The fact that such a positive figure for children of all ages…especially the “children”…would deliver a train riding experience in this manner is absurd. The view from our window was a rock wall on one side and a homeless peoples lifestyle on the other. If not for the very nice gentleman on the train this would have been a very negative experience for my son. Thank you Tommy Lee Jones! To much of the rest of the staff at this event…..SHAME ON YOU! I want my money back and an apology. I think everyone in attendance deserves that.

September 5, 2008 at 3:11 pm
(6) Tabatha says:

We had a great time, my 5 yr old son had a blast. The train ride is on a small part of the event. They have a lot of other things for children to do that is included in the price.

September 5, 2008 at 3:17 pm
(7) Terry says:

The train ride at Thomas is only a small part of the event. They also have a petting zoo, magican, music performances for kids, a rubber tired train, photos with Thomas, jumpy castle, giant slide, kids tent with toy trains to play with, temporay tatoos, and all of this is included in the price. The only extras was food and drink or buying photos if you forgot your camera. Also there were live characters there like Sir Topham Hat. We had a great time. They also had a great Thomas gift shop.

August 19, 2009 at 2:56 pm
(8) Judi says:

I took the twins for their 3rd birthday. They had a blast. It was so cool to be able to say that they had been on a real train when all they had ever known was playing with their little train set. We are excited to goagain this year. I just need to find a sales code to get the $2.00 discount!

September 6, 2009 at 9:21 am
(9) stephanie Arnold says:

I saw a commercial yesterday, I think the discount code was TCRY. I hope it works for you.

September 8, 2009 at 2:27 pm
(10) james m says:

This is our second Day Out W/Thomas adventure as my 3 year old is a huge fan. Our first “DOWT” was in Chattanooga, TN. and it was a very nice experience and I will be back as it is a “real” museum with lots of other stuff to see and do with a sit down restaurant and running steam locomotive you could get right next to along with the Thomas engine. I had very high expectations for Nashville and was pretty dissapointed. I hate to be critical but here it the honest truth to all you parents:
I would not recommend the Nashville local as it is just not a very “fan or family friendly” atmosphere and or location. With that being said here is what to expect: No shade, very industrial area, porta-johns, temporary tents housing all activities. The only A/C you will experience is on the train ride. And the ride is NOT scenic at all. Plenty of 10 foot barbed wire fences everywhere. The staff was not the friendliest. You could not wander the grounds once the ride was over. You were corralled towards a few more activities and then the exit. Anyway, the cost to me is nothing as to see the look on my sons face is priceless. Anyway my next DOWT will be in Chattanooga.

September 11, 2009 at 7:02 am
(11) Jan says:

James I think you hit the mark with your DOWT comments!

September 13, 2010 at 11:38 pm
(12) Pete says:

You can change the dates and you will see the same comments. The 2010 “show” was not different than any of the other years — even going back to Lee’s comments in 2007. Very tired and re-hashed setup. The homeless tents under the overpasses was a nice touch to the scenery!